Thursday, May 17, 2012

Gestational Diabetes

Just an update. Yes, I do have gestational diabetes. I have been learning alot. I assumed that when people are overweight that they are more susceptible to having gestational diabetes or Type II Diabetes. The nurse I met with at the Diabetes Clinic, shared that due to my grandmothers both having diabetes that I am more likely to have gestational diabetes than someone else. It's in the genes. So my workouts have increased, my diet includes protein and counting carbs, and my fingers are getting pricked 4 times a day. I was really worried about it all, but honestly, everything is ok. It's not fun, but it's not as bad as I thought for the first week. I haven't cried yet, just came close to it when the carb counting and planning for the day before work gets overwhelming in the short time frame that I left. Adam is a great support and that helps too. I just got my very own glucose monitor and Adam helped me set it up so now I can return the one I had on loan. It's a whole new world...

3 comments:

  1. Ledawn, i'm so sorry you have to deal with this, I can't imagine going through that! Out of all the people in the world, you're one of the best people to have it because you have such good self control! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There you have it. Pregnancy. A huge roller coaster of the unknown. And the fun doesn't end with delivery! Ha! So sorry. Sounds like you're doing great though. And Adam is taking good care of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi LeDawn! Glad I found your blog! Gestational diabetes is no fun! I know several friends and family who had it! Hang in there! My blog is private so if you send me and e-mail I can send you an invite! jaclynmwride(at)live(dot)com

    ReplyDelete