Recently when we were out with friends, the topic of family history came up. We talked about the recent emphasis in doing your own family history and then taking your own names to the temple. Then the statement was made, "I am just so busy, when would I fit it in." I thought about this and replied, "Well, if we have time to login to Facebook, then we have time to do Family History." I was referring to myself and so I began asking my mom questions about how to get started. I went on a trip to the LDS Family History Library and started a free with Ancestry.com. I am becoming addicted! We are not too busy. It can be done here and there. I took break for a week unknowingly. The Adversary wants us to forget about Family History and all else that is good. Once I started back up, I began finding more family names to research. I like connecting with my ancestors. Seeing their information on Census Records, Death Records, Directories, etc. It is exciting. There is a special Spirit in Family History.
In the past couple of weeks, I have realized how important it is for the younger generation to get involved. The computer and internet has made such a difference in Family History. Our generation has the advantage to understanding technology and can quickly research and work to add to our family tree. Get started! You can do it! This is so important! Anybody else out there getting started, having any family history successes, or need a kick start?
This is a great post. I know I need to get into Family History. I have a hard time because my Grandma has done so much, that is my excuse. I know I need to get on and see what else I can do. I started doing Indexing, which is really fun and helpful to the Family History program. It's easy to sit down and take a little time to work on. Thanks for the inspiration!
ReplyDelete